Saturday, May 29, 2010

Thing 19

I had heard the word podcast many times, but honestly did not have much information about what they are. The videos and searching around definitely helped to open my eyes.

A podcast I want to subscribe to and explore further is devoted to learning disabilities: http://ldpodcast.com/ I liked that there are the interviews available for listening, but there are also additional resources (e.g. links, accommodation guides, info. on dyslexia and ADHD, books). Overall, it appears to be kept up to date (when searching through, I did find a few did not have recent podcasts available) and would be a beneficial resource!

Another podcast I found to be intriguing was Colonial Williamsburg Past and Present. They discuss various topics connected to Colonial Williamsburg (e.g. events that took place there) and offer additional resources to students after they listen, which I really liked. I thought it could be a neat supplement to social studies topics that students more often than not find to be "boring."

Finally, I noticed there are quite a few "book talk" podcasts. I especially liked Hopkinton High School Library Booktalks because each of the books is chosen by middle school aged students and is part of the Isinglass Teen Award Read Award project: http://www.hopkintonschools.org/hhs/library/podcast.html The books discussed are for older students (ideal for our 7th/8th graders) and some of my students are younger, however, I liked the idea that books are student chosen and that they are discussed. I'm sure that there are podcasts available discussing literature for younger students. I need to do some more searching! I overall like the idea of "book talks" because I feel that they could be a fun way to introduce a new book to students. If there are author podcasts available, I also think it would be another fun way for students to get into a book. Students could actually hear the author of the story share details and answer questions.

One last thought on podcasting.....not only could our students learn from others through listening to podcasts by adults and other students in different schools, but I also think that it could be very doable with the right resources for our own students to do as well...share with others through their own podcasts.

1 comment:

  1. I now know who to ask for help/information on Podcasts. I didn't spend enough time on this feature. I will do so.

    ReplyDelete