Saturday, June 12, 2010

Thing 21

I found the wikiHow to be an interesting one to check out. It provided many examples of how-to writing, which is something I have incorporated in writing with my students. It's a way to work on sequencing and writing skills together. If planning on using the WikiHow as an example, I would choose a few school appropriate prior to sharing with students.

I like the idea that writing can be edited by anyone in a wiki (e.g. in working on a group project), however, I can see two major hurdles with this unique possibility. The first hurdle being communication. The group members would beyond a doubt need to have open communication and also be open to others critiquing and editing their ideas. The second hurdle is the unique opportunity of editing itself. Unwanted editing could occur. I did notice, however, that there are options for allowing only members of the group to edit, so that could alleviate unwanted editing.

On a lighter note, in connection to a possible hurdle, or possible benefit (e.g. brainstorming) I can't help but share this quote from The Office: "Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject. So you know you are getting the best possible information." (Michael Scott)

1 comment:

  1. I see your point. We have issues now with students using not etiquette when they speak. Imagine the possibilities when they begin to write online and can edit others' writing. One advantage could be the threshold of time for thinking before they push the "save" button. Then again, kids begin that egocentric stage pretty early and may not see the big picture of cause and effect.

    ReplyDelete