Monday, June 28, 2010

Thing 23

After a busy end to the school year and the following week that flew by, culminating with family, friends, and a wedding, my mind is now clear and I am able to reflect on the journey that is 23 Things.

There is no doubt that this experience has been nothing but positive. I have been exposed to areas that I had only heard about, but not explored previously (e.g. podcasts, google docs, wikis, RSS). Other teachers at CMA have shared wonderful ideas and thoughts of how we can use technology with our students. All in all, 23 Things was an educational experience itself, along with the opportunity to learn from each other.

Exploring the 23 Things definitely reiterated that technology is a reality and in reality, it is not going anywhere. Preparing our students for the future, definitely involves use of technology. Of course there are concerns about technology, which each of us recognized throughout this journey. I like that in the last video we watched, it mentioned concerns about privacy, copyrights, authorship, ethics etc... I think that if they are issues that we are aware of, that in time with comfort and knowledge, they each will become less of an issue.

This upcoming school year, I would like to incorporate the use of a blog for sharing writing and ultimately, I would like to be able to include audio in these blogs so that students are able to share stories through audio as well. I also like the idea of google docs and a wiki in creating schedules for students and sharing information in the fall. Being the lover of photography that I am, personally, I'd like to use Flickr and Big Huge Labs more, which were two of my favorite "Things" to explore.

Overall the 23 Things journey has been just that, a journey. It definitely doesn't end here though. I personally need to go back and explore a few "Things" a bit more to become more comfortable with them. There are excellent resources on the web as well as with each other, so I'm looking forward to what the next school year brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment